Saturday, July 07, 2007

The TAJ madness

Every headline screams.... SAVE TAJ send SMS to blah blah....


It seems to me that if we don't send the SMS the Taj Mahal might be transported out of Agra as we were not considerate enough. The gullible were seen religiously sending those SMS's feverishly on every chowk and gullies of the country during the last week or so. What these people do not realise that like everything else these days, this was also a big marketing stunt foisted on the people by someone who owned the site new7wonders something something...

What this guy did is that he brilliantly marketed his website. The popular media latched on because it also saw $o much money in this and conveniently forgot to mention that even UNESCO has refused to back this...

I am surprised that even the Indian government - OK not the government, but our Minister for Tourism agreed to back this as an Indian citizen. If that is not a travesty then I wonder what is...

In the meanwhile I can tell you with pride that I did not send the SMS and I am proud of the fact. I even hope and pray, for the sake of Taj Mahal itself, that Taj does not make it to the list of New 7 wonders of the world...

No comments: